Saturday, August 1, 2009

Pacquiao Should Stop Dragging Boxers Down in Weight

By Liam Santiago:

I am a big fan of Manny Pacquiao. But I wish he would stop demanding boxers come down from their natural weight. What gives Pacquiao the right to demand boxers lose extra weight than what they are comfortable losing. Of course, this gives Pacquiao a big advantage. His opponent is likely to be weak after pushing his body to extreme limits to make the weight limit. At this level, every pound makes a massive difference. As I say, I’m a huge fan of ‘Pac-Man’, but I wish he would fight at a weight limit, whether it’s lightweight, light welterweight or welterweight, I don’t care.
Just to be clear, this problem did not effect the Hatton fight. Pacquiao fought Hatton at light welterweight and shown his superior skills and talent by knocking Hatton out in the second round. This is what I want to see Pacquiao do, boxing at a weight limit. Weight limits are there for a reason. They prevent boxers getting seriously injured. When I heard Pacquiao was fighting Oscar De La Hoya, I instantly knew Oscar could not win. He simply could not make that weight limit and fight as he could at light middleweight. When a boxer fights in that condition he doesn’t stand a chance. Even at the weigh in, you only had to take one look at Oscar to decide who was going to be victorious the following day. He looked awful.

However, even though Miguel Cotto is going to have to shift an extra 2 pounds on November 14th this year, I am still predicting a Cotto knock out. Yes, them two pounds will play a part, but I think the Puerto Rican star can deal with it. If Cotto does not win it will be because he couldn’t deal with that drop in weight. Before the Oscar fight critics said Oscar would be too big, but, as I’ve said, the weight had the affect. Before the Hatton fight critics said Hatton would be too big and strong, but Hatton’s poor defense was embarrassingly exposed. Fighting Miguel Cotto, I imagine, will be somewhat different. Cotto should deal with the weight ok and he won’t have a weak defence ; plunging forward with his chin out to dry, like Hatton did. I know it has been said before, but I see power and size being the key factor. I predict Cotto to stop Pacquiao in round 9 or 10.

But, the big question is Can Cotto handle that extra two pound drop in weight. If it does bother him and he loses energy like Oscar did, Pacquiao will win and the referee will probably stop the fight. I don’t want to see Pacquiao’s legacy built on fights where his opponents were drained that badly they could only stand there and take Pacquiao’s shots. That’s no legacy. However, like I said I am a big fan of Pac-man. What he did against Diaz and Hatton was incredible. He has amazing power and speed and I believe he does deserve his pound for pound spot. The fight I really want to see Pacquiao in is not with Mayweather. Its Marquez 3.

Source: http://www.boxingnews24.com/2009/07/pacquiao-should-stop-dragging-boxers-down-in-weight/ (July 30, 2009)

3 comments:

  1. @chubskulit - I don't think so... Manny is a consummate professional and does not want opponents to come down in weight just because it will be at his advantage... think of it this way, if it is Manny who will go up in weight at 147lbs to meet Cotto, do you think he will win? He will have a hard time... Cotto is just too big for him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. have u not enuf of marquez...he's nothing to pacquiao. marquez did nt win anything over pacman grow up man. and is there anyone to fight pacman even if he go down weight classess..and be proud even going up is harder for pacman..its roach plans not pacman so deal wd it...

    ReplyDelete