Friday, June 19, 2009

Miguel Cotto: "Pacquiao, The Biggest Fight of My Career"

By Mark Vester

WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto views the probable bout with Manny Pacquiao as the biggest fight of his career. Top Rank is trying to match the fighters on November 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Top Rank's Bob Arum held a phone conference with Cotto on Wednesday, and the two sides were able to agree on a lot of the terms. Arum will speak to Pacquiao in the coming days and hopes to reach a deal between the two fighters by the weekend.

"[Pacquiao] would be the biggest fight and greatest achievement of my career. Everything I have had in my career has been about challenges. Everything I have worked for has revolved around that and I have endeavored to reach certain achievements, and I have achieved," Cotto told Primera Hora.

Cotto doesn't plan to change his team around by dumping some of the key members. He may consider an offer by trainer Emanuel Steward to come on board.

"I am a fighter, not a mechanic. I am very happy with my team, I am very grateful for the work they have done and will continue working with them. Emanuel has always been a gentleman to me. We will do what we have to do for the welfare of our team," Cotto said.

Cotto suffered a serious cut above his left eye during last Saturday's win over Joshua Clottey. He required 21 stitches to close it up. The New York State Athletic Commission has suspended him for three months to allow the cut enough time to heal. Cotto expects to be completely healthy in time to make the November date with Pacquiao.

Source: http://www.boxingscene.com/index.php?m=show&id=20512 (June 18, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment